|SGX Saw Growth in Derivatives and OTC Clearing for May
Singapore Exchange (SGX) (ACN Newswire)
2012-06-05 Singapore, June 5, 2012 - ( ACN Newswire ) - Singapore Exchange (SGX) said that the volume of its Derivatives business and OTC clearing continued to see growth in May.
- Securities daily average value (SDAV) fell 20% year-on-year and 0.5% month-on-month. However, the total number of securities trades went up to 3.9 billion in May, a 34% annual increase and 8.5% monthly increase.
- Catalist turnover volume was up 199% year-on-year at S$6.3 billion, but down 60% month-on-month.
- Daily average outstanding loans under the Securities Borrowing and Lending (SBL) programme totalled S$ 26.1 million, up 31% from a year earlier. The total volume transferred for SBL increased 113% in May from April.
- Derivatives volume rose almost 40% year-on-year to 6.9 million contracts, and daily average volume (DAV) grew 31% to 320,715 contracts. Month-on-month, overall derivatives trading volume increased more than 10%.
- China A50 futures volumes once again set a new high of 767,739 contracts, which was 4 times more than the previous year, and up 30% from April.
- Nikkei 225 futures grew a positive 45% to about 2.5 million contracts year-on-year. MSCI Singapore Index Futures also rose 15% year-on-year to 368,378 contracts, with a 23% increase from April. Similarly, India's Nifty futures attracted a strong 16% increase to 1.4 million contracts from a year earlier and was up 20% from April.
- The total number of structured warrants trades saw 40% more from a year earlier at 118,616.
Commodities and Clearing
- Volume of commodity contracts cleared increased 119% year-on-year to 24,645 contracts and was up 76% in May. OTC energy swaps surged up 687% year-on-year to a high of 2,102 contracts, and iron ore swaps volume more than doubled to 15,487 contracts from a year earlier.
- Volume* of new OTC interest rate swaps (IRS) cleared was SGD 4.4 billion, up 47% year-on-year as compared to S$3.3 billion in May 2011. The total volume of OTC IRS cleared since the November 2010 launch amounts to S$ 264.6 billion. (*Volumes for May 2012 and May 2011 included backloaded transactions.)
SGX Statistics At A Glance
Apr 2012 May 2012
Number of Trading Days (Securities) 20 22
Securities market Turnover Volume (million shares) 64,348 39,859
Securities market Turnover Value ($million) 23,534 25,752
Securities Daily Average ($million) 1,177 1,171
Derivatives Volume 6,279,237 6,920,856
Derivatives Daily Average Volume 322,213 320,715
Total Number of Listed Securities 769 770
Total Market Capitalisation ($million) 861,275 822,248
About Singapore Exchange (SGX)
Singapore Exchange (SGX) is the Asian Gateway, connecting investors in search of Asian growth to corporate issuers in search of global capital. SGX represents the premier access point for managing Asian capital and investment exposure, and is Asia's most internationalised exchange with more than 40% of companies listed on SGX originating outside of Singapore. SGX offers its clients the world's biggest offshore market for Asian equity futures market, centred on Asia's three largest economies - China, India and Japan.
In addition to offering a fully integrated value chain from trading and clearing, to settlement and depository services, SGX is also Asia's pioneering central clearinghouse. Headquartered in Asia's most globalised city, and centred within the AAA strength and stability of Singapore's island nation, SGX is a peerless Asian counterparty for the clearing of financial and commodity products. For more information, please visit www.sgx.com.
Tel: +65 6236 8139
Tel: +65 6236 8658
Copyright 2012 ACN Newswire. All rights reserved. www.acnnewswire.com